Ok, so when I did my candle research and found out that I prefer 100% Beeswax candles, I decided to re-use the glass holders and tops from my old candles. But how to get the wax out? This is what I came up with:
1. Turn the glass candle holder upside down on a plate with several layers of paper towels protecting the plate from wax.
2. Put it in the microwave for 15-30 second increments (to make sure the glass didn’t break). The wax will drip down and out of the candle holder easily, wicks and all.
3. Swipe out the excess wax with a clean paper towel, then dish-wash the soot out.
Easy as pie!
And here my list of candle specific ingredients to avoid!
CANDLE SPECIFIC UNSAFE INGREDIENT LIST*
Paraffin- Paraffin is an inexpensive sludge waste product of the petroleum industry that has been bleached then texturised with acrolyn, a known carcinogenic product.
Lead wicks- Though lead has not been used since the 70’s in most of Central Europe and the USA, cheaper candles from other countries such as Asia or South America can still be seen on the market. Burning only a few with leaded wicks for 3 hours will increase levels 9 to 11 times over acceptable lead levels.
Gel- Gel candles are petroleum based or made from synthetic hydrocarbons. Think of them as petroleum turned into jelly with a few more added toxins thrown in such as butylated hydroxyl toluene.
Soy- Soy candles are… made from hydrogenated soy, palm and coconut oils… burn slower and last about 50% longer than paraffin candles. They burn cooler and have very little soot… By purchasing soy candles, you are supporting the omnipresent American soy industry which farms mostly genetically manipulated soy.
Beeswax candles… Warm and sweet smelling.. Beeswax is a by-product of honey and is made from the ‘caps’ of the honeycomb. These are the most expensive candles, but are price effective as they last up to three times longer than paraffin and twice as long as soy candles. Unlike paraffin, they are from a sustainable source – originating from flowers, fuelled by the sun and processed by bees.
They burn cleanly, don’t drip when properly used and give off negative ions that help concentration and clear the air. They are also non-allergenic and can help soothe the symptoms of hay fever, asthma and allergy sufferers… Ivory coloured candles have gone through a special process to lighten them, which unfortunately weakens the natural honey scent. When purchasing, be certain that the label states 100% beeswax – some countries allow as little as 10% beeswax to still be labelled ‘beeswax’. A ‘blended’ beeswax candle most assuredly has paraffin or stearin.
*Credit goes to http://www.epicureantable.com/articles/acandles.htm for this info.